Announcing appearances, publications, and occasional thoughts on natural philosophy and ancient history by philosopher, historian, and author Richard Carrier.
Oh, that kind of "selling out." By the title of the email, I thought this was going to be some hard-hitting expose.:)
We're selling out as much as a free event can "sell" out. :PJT
We're just that awesome that everyone wants to come hang out with us! YAY!
This is off topic but I did want to drop by and say I recently listened to your debate with Mike Licona. In some of the posts here on the blog, and in other writings of your's, I've come away with the impression that you are a bit of a jerk. But I got a completely different impression in your debate with Mike. You seemed to be very patient, personable, genuine, and kind. It was good to see that side of you.
Alex, I know what you mean. Richard's use of words is very blunt sometimes. This can cause a misunderstanding of Richard's overall character. Of course he can be very aggressive in on-line conversation, but if one can't handle tough to-and-fro dialogue one shouldn't be on the web.I have not met him (I live an ocean away) but he certainly isn't a jerk as far as I can tell. :-)
Well, in all fairness, I am something of a jerk, to people who deserve it. But those willing to have sane, rational, honest conversations, like Mike, don't.But it's also exaggerated by the flat affect of written text. People can't see any body language or hear any tone of voice so they assign emotion to the text they are reading, according to their presuppositions and hangups, rather than extract that emotion from it. Thus 80% of anyone's online jerkiness is in your head only, purely a fabrication of your own brain. But 20% may be real. It's just once you cut away the 80% the remaining 20% doesn't look so bad, or even looks warranted and excusable. That's why we should all learn to read text with those two facts in mind, and thus not jump to conclusions, nor grant no leeway to our opponent.
Dr. Carrier, never heard of you before I went to Skepticon 3 - now I can't wait to read all your books. You signed my copy of Sense and Goodness after you lecture and I did not detect any jerkiness. You didn't pull any punches in your lecture, but I am a cut to the chase kind of person anyway so I appreciated your approach. I'm loving the book!
Hey Richard, I was very disappointed that I missed your presentation at Skepticon 3, but I had a chance for a long 1 on 1 conversation with Joe Nickell and didn't want to pass that up. I keep checking youtube hoping your presentation gets there soon because I am also a Roman history buff in addition to a Bible scholar (amateur at each). I did enjoy your panel participation!
No Roman history in my Skepticon III talk.But on the Roman history front there will be news in 2011. Keep a look out on my blog.
Post a Comment